Thursday, July 9, 2009

childhood memories



Working around children this month has me pondering on my own childhood memories.

We do not remember days; we remember moments.
 ~Cesare Pavese

I remember summers on the beach in Chile …. days spent building sandcastles and running to the waters edge to cool off throughout the day eating Popsicles sold by men carrying foam coolers strapped to their waists.

We would stay at the beach until dusk, when men carrying huge beautiful wicker baskets covered with clean white linen would stroll down the beach selling ‘pan de huevo’… warm and fresh out of the oven, these were heaven as the sea air gets chilly when the sun begins to set.

As we are around children a lot, during the summer- I hear their opinions and comments about life… I wish more people really knew that what matters the most to a child are the small things!


It's surprising how much memory is built around things unnoticed at the time. ~Barbara Kingsolver, Animal Dreams

2 comments:

Sheree Rensel said...

Claudia, I totally understand what you are saying here. Lucky for you, your childhood memories are fond and wonderful. It is kind of strange because as you know I work with emotionally disturbed students. Many of them have had very hard lives. I think the reason I have been successful with this population is because stuff happened to me when I was little that was traumatic and abusive. I understand these kids.

Even though some of the memories brought on through working with my kids are less than pleasant, I must say I do have many great memories of my art experiences in childhood. I suppose, this is why I take such great pleasure sharing my art expertise with these at-risk kids. I know art can be an escape and make you happy!

Charms Of Light said...

I am awarding you with a One Lovely Blog award. This was awarded to me by The Crystal Lady. Now, I'm passing it on to you because I love your blog!

Rules to follow:
1. Accept the award, post it on your blog together with the name of the person who has granted the award, and his or her blog link.
2. Pass the award to 15 other blogs that love and/or have newly discovered.
3. Remember to contact the bloggers to let them know they have been chosen for this award.
4. Use the One Lovely Blog award picture from my blog, on your blog to let everyone know that you have one lovely Blog!