Saturday, August 15, 2009

Friends, Love and ....art!



The bliss of 'full time studio' continues...
Last night, we were up until 2am painting. I am finished with the canvases for the Zip Code show- and Sergio began with the encaustics last night.


While we were painting, a man we know stopped by our studio. He is homeless, and sometimes comes by for a bit of work and cash. I gave him dinner and put some Calamine lotion on his poison ivy covered arms.
He slept in the studio.

It is so very easy to help someone without judging them when they are kind in return. Once in a while, I will come home and find a gift from our friend on our doorstep: a seashell, an interesting rock...once he built a small snowman in our yard!

When he started coming around I was still living alone, and frankly was scared of this odd looking person... yet I quickly learned he would never harm anyone.
He is an alcoholic, son of a prominent businessman here in town (both his parents are now deceased). His siblings include scientists and psychiatrists.
They do not stay in touch with him, nor answer his calls.
There are other people in the area that help him, including an elderly woman who lives just blocks away, with whom he stays in the wintertime- she has a room prepared for him in her heated garage.

He is an intelligent man, in his late 50's...and Sergio and I joke in all seriousness that we can have better conversations with him than with some of our acquaintances!

It has been about 6 years now since I met him,ready to call the police due to my fear... I now consider him a friend.

5 comments:

Almost Precious said...

Wonderful insight. As they say; "You can't judge a book by its cover". So very true. You've been an angel in the life of sad and destitute person. Bless you.

Claudia Olivos and Sergio OlivosM said...

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement!
Indeed, I feel I have blessed. I am happy, after many years of suffering. I feel honored to be in a position where I can share love and blessings with others.

Debbie Lamey-MacDonald said...

Such a heart warming story! Hats off to you for being so kind and appreciating the special qualities of your friend;qualities others could very easily overlook. A very special friendship for all.

Nancy said...

While not being overtly religious, I do have a religious background. Sometimes I look at the small experiences in life as God's test of our muster. He sent you a test, you assessed the risks and still moved to help. This man has blessed your soul with the action you have taken to assist him. And now you are realizing the benefits of his friendship. Such joy in life. You would never have known this joy if you hadn't moved to lend him a hand.
A true life lesson, he is the angel and you let him in. May you be forever blessed. :)

Claudia Olivos and Sergio OlivosM said...

Thank you Debbie and Nancy!
Indeed, we feel only blessed to be able to share.... I dare not guess the lesson... it could be just to remind us how blessed we are- it could be a lesson for him: a lesson of hope. Most likely, it is just a reminder to all of us that there are different paths in this world-and if we all focused on the happiness of the other, rather than trying to gain something...the world would be a much more peaceFULL and joyFUll place.

Not religious either...but strongly believing in the power of god/goddess/universe:
"..there, but for the grace of god...go I"
indeed!

Love, Namaste!
Claudia