Thursday, November 19, 2009

Friendship and loyalty.


Yes'm, old friends is always best, 'less you can catch a new one that's fit to make an old one out of. ~Sarah Orne Jewett


Yesterday, after 15 (!) years, I "was found" by a dear old friend. I had searched in vain for her online.... but luckily, she found me via the web! She has since gotten married, had a child, and
La poeta. Oil on canvas
by Claudia Olivos
changed her name. Yet, she is still the old friend whom I have always loved so dearly and felt as we "really meet" heart to heart.
We talked on the phone literally all day from about 11 am to near 5pm with some interruptions in between. It was sweet.


"The most beautiful discovery that true friends can make is that they can grow separately without growing apart."
~E. Foley

I am so grateful for being able to be back in touch with my old friend. Having friends is one of the blessings given to us from above. However, as some of you know.... two years ago I suffered a horrible experience when one of my closest friends hurt me deeply by betraying me in a most treacherous manner. 


Thus, though I have always treasured my friends....after that horrible experience, I have fought to not lose hope in what I have always believed friendship to be: the most beautyFULL gift! One of the places where I have enjoyed going to are the pages of The Little Prince.

I have read and re-read The Little Prince more times than I will ever know, it has been my favorite book since I was a little girl-and here, time and again, I have found comfort in reading my favorite part: when the Little Prince meets the Fox. It is bittersweet and speaks to friendship, loyalty and love.
Here, is an excerpt:

(the Fox speaking to the Little Prince):


“…if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world…if you tame me, it will be as if the sun came to shine on my life. I shall know the sound of a step that will be different from all the others. Other steps send me hurrying back underneath the ground. Yours will call me, like music, out of my burrow. And then look: you see the grain-fields down yonder? I do not eat bread. Wheat is of no use to me. The wheat fields have nothing to say to me. And that is sad. But you have hair that is the color of gold. Think how wonderful that will be when you have tamed me! The grain, which is also golden, will bring me back the thought of you. And I shall love to listen to the wind in the wheat…”

“One only understands the things that one tames. Men have no more time to understand anything. They buy things all ready made at the shops. But there is no shop anywhere where one can buy friendship, and so men have no friends any more. If you want a friend, tame me…”

Men have forgotten this truth. But you must not forget it. 

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”

Indeed, as one of my favorite authors wrote:

Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity. Kahlil Gibran


For a beautiful story on friendship, please read the whole chapter (it is only one page...go on! Read it here

7 comments:

Marilyn said...

Amazing post! TRUE friends are hard to find and when you do find them you never want to let them go. I have many friends but I have two friends that go beyond true friends. One of the girls I have known since we were both 2 and we are now 21! We don't always see each other nor do we get to talk all the time but when we do it is like nothing has changed and it's the best feeling in the world. My other wonderful friend and I have been extremely close for about 5 or 6 years. Words can not even describe how amazing she is! She is unbelievably loyal and trust worthy not to mention she is hilarious. These two girls are amazing and I love them so much they are so beautiful inside and out. I'm very thankful to have them in my life!

Claudia Olivos and Sergio OlivosM said...

Thanks for commenting Marilyn! Indeed...what a blessing to have good friends! :)
That's what it was like that when I spoke to my friend yesterday...like no time had passed (ok..some, as we are both now married & with kids! ;)

sheila said...

Beautiful post!

Marilyn said...

oh and I forgot to mention, I love the picture of the fox!!! I totally love love love pictures like this=]

Claudia Olivos and Sergio OlivosM said...

Thanks for your comments Sheila & Marilyn!

Claudia Olivos and Sergio OlivosM said...

Thanks Marilyn- I will tell Sergio about the Fox, he really does some nice drawings... I hope you can see them in person on December 5! :)

Marilyn said...

I marked my calendered already, I really hope i'll be able to make it=]