Saturday, June 4, 2011

Natural healing for a third degree burn.

After receiving two and third degree burns on my forearm, I have learned many things about treating burns naturally and I wanted to share the information with you.


update- a year later, I have NO scars. None. Two dermatologists told me it was impossible for a third degree burn.... but my arm is scar-less.

please note: I am NOT a doctor. I am an artist. 
I am sharing because it worked for me. I hope it can work for others too.

1. Do not put ice on the wound. This can cause tissue damage. Instead, run cold water on the burn for at least 20 minutes.


2. Clean your wound daily with saline solution.


3. Dab on DMSO (highly controversial, but my medicine cabinet is never without this wonderful

elixir from nature. Google it, and if you decide to buy it- only do so from sellers who package it in a dark glass bottle so it is not contaminated by plastic). DMSO is used topically to decrease pain and speed the healing of wounds, burns, and muscle and skeletal injuries. DMSO is also used topically to treat painful conditions such as headache, inflammation, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and more! I love DMSO and have been buying mine for the last 5 years from
this online seller.


4. Apply Medicinal honey. It is an antibacterial which prevents infection and promotes tissue growth. Manuka honey can be found on the web and at your local Whole Foods. Prices vary, but you want the highest UMF- 20. It is expensive at $50.- a bottle but it is well worth every penny! It is good for wounds, ulcers, flu and more.


5. Top it off with Castor Oil. Make sure you buy only hexane-free & Certified Pure, Cold Pressed Castor oil. This oil is widely used because of its moisturizing, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, it is a thick, amber liquid rich in fatty acids that benefit the health of our skin.


6. As the wound closes, you can also add Aloe Vera gel from the fresh plant (I alternate one day Castor oil, one day Aloe Vera).


Place a non stick gauze pad and wrap it up. Always keep your wound moist and covered in this mixture. I have been changing my dressing twice daily since I burned myself. In three days it will have been 3 weeks since I burned myself....I think my arm is healing very well and I am hoping and praying that this 3rd degree burn will not scar at all! I will keep you posted....let me know if you have other good advice and/or experiences in healing with nature!

2 comments:

Anita C. McCants said...

Thanks for that great advice!

Claudia Olivos and Sergio OlivosM said...

You are very welcome Anita! My hand/wrist is healing SO well....!

love & light to you and yours!
Claudia