Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Embrace your inner child

Embrace your inner child...

I remember when I was about 9 years old and being afraid that turning 10 meant I would have to be "older" ~I made myself a promise:
 "never forget what it is like to be a kid."
 
I remember I was outside just at that moment, I was playing with some flowers in the dirt; I spent a lot of time drawing, but I also loved to dance around in the yard, read, climb trees and collect ladybugs in shoe boxes where I would create intricate rooms with tape and construction paper (this is something I once did with my son years, though he preferred collecting caterpillars -with whom I soon discovered he could not part- this I learned when a few weeks later I found his toy box full of "pupae" ...sadly, it was not a romantic scene where butterflies flew out...instead, we had to collect them and bury them with many tears. pomp and circumstance ...

   Oh all the fun things we can do when we are children!

When I was in Kindergarten, I loved my ballet class and can still see the stern skinny French ballet teacher, wooden floors and tiny feet at the barre...it was held in the lower level of our huge Catholic school.

I loved my pink leotard and my soft little pink shoes
and I loved darting around the studio with my tiny friends all of us dressed in soft pale pinks like little plushy nimble bunnies during "free movement time...

but I hated wearing the tiara we had to put on with sharp hair pins and I hated presentations ...I wanted to dance freely and certainly not in front of an audience.

 I love dancing with pure JOY

I am not coordinated and can not dance at all with a partner or to any kind of dance sequence.
Funny thing is, when I do get wild and silly with dance, people ask me if I am a dancer... and I know that this is only because when I do dance, I Dance like nobody is watching .... and this too is how I draw and paint and I encourage YOU to do the same!

I know the doing of it can be challenging at times.
The problem is that most of us feel “funny” and uncomfortable letting our child out to "play" uninhibitedly as we used to 

For me, the ‘funny feeling’ usually comes later when I begin to hear that damned inner critic pepper me with a self doubt stream of: maybes”….

“maybe they thought you were showing off"
“maybe they think you are crazy
"maybe your art will turn out badly"
"maybe you will look like a fool”
 ….especially after a night like Saturday night where in our small group of 9...
           I was the only one dancing!
soooo, yeah.. that inner critic was bugging me Sunday morning; I had to apply a huge dose of logic to the argument (this seems to be the only way for me to deal with my inner critic: tell “her” the facts,  then move on).

  
I reminded my inner critic that:
1.-Those who know me well, know that I do this with a “bursting with joy” heart, nothing more.
2. My spontaneously crazy happy dance is inspired by the “snoopy dance” which leads me to point #3:Despite my perpetual self doubt and lack of coordination: I really don’t care if my dancing looks foolish or messy and truly I hope to inspire my loved ones to join in on the child-like fun!
  Dare to dance like nobody is watching!
  Dare to create, sing, make art and PLAY with child~like abandon!
  It is a joyfull moment when you let go and just be in the moment!
Children seem to be more connected in tune with “God/All that IS/the Divine” because they are in a place with no worries, doubts, judgment, or ego..they know how to be "in the moment"
Imagine that? Just fun!
What can YOU do to let your inner child come out and play?

Dance in the living room, skip the cracks on the sidewalk on your way to work, take a bubble bath, skip pebbles in the lake, make sand castles, play flashlight tag, eat peanut butter by the spoonful, paint on the palms of your hands, eat waffles for dinner, eat cake for breakfast, have a sleepover with a couple of friends, sing out loud, play with crayons, Create anything you want, draw with your left hand,Laugh out loud and be silly and yes, sometimes even I will belt out in song even though my voice leaves MUCH to be desired (ear plugs being first on the list!)…
 Shush your inner critic & just do it!!!
What are YOU going to do to nurture and
bring joy to your inner child? I would love for you to share with me in the comments below!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh Claudia! Just what I needed today! Your artwork is divine and adds so much to your message. We seem to have a lot in common, so glad to have found a like-minded soul! I will continue my day with a lighter, more playful heart now. Thank you.

Love, Michelle.

Claudia Olivos and Sergio OlivosM said...

Thanks for stopping by Michelle...and yesI thought the same thing!
Glad to connect!

Much love,
Claudia

susan hemann said...

Exactly what I needed today. i tend to be rather serious. thank you.

Claudia Olivos and Sergio OlivosM said...

aww..thank YOU Sue! xoxox

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Such a joyful post and delightful art work to go with it. :)

Claudia Olivos and Sergio OlivosM said...

Gracias mil Paula!! I appreciate your warm comment!

abrazos,
Claudia

Alison Joy said...

Beautiful message, beautiful art! :-)