Tuesday, March 12, 2013

is it time for your leaves to change?

Today I wanted to share with you a little about our studio.

              You see, we are in transition. We are not just changing...we are expanding in so many  ways some we had planned....some we have discovered in our journey.


Change your opinions, keep to your principles;
change your leaves, keep intact your roots.
~Victor Hugo


oil on canvas: "he Hopes"
 Changing leaves.
 Since our name "Olivos"means olive trees, it is quite an apporpriate metaphor: changing  leaves....

           It all started last year when I was laid off from my part time college  teaching position.


    Change brings about transformation 
when we have faith in who we are and what we can do.

Although I have to confess.... we were both quite stressed about it all in the beginning.

Our studio sales had not been strong as they were prior to 2007, and that college pay check was supporting us more than anything else.
All of a sudden, bills were a concern even though we believe that:

When it is dark enough, you can see the stars.  
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

still, it was scary
and frightening
and sad
my college teaching career was over.

I decided to try being a student once again and I signed up for an online class of mixed media run by the sweet creative soul Tamara Laporte... and

                                                                     *whoa*

      a whole new world of possibility for teaching opened up for me...

who knew that so many people were creating community/tribes~ working together creatively online?
Oh yeah! Having fun, healing and connecting all around the world!

                                             *wow*

I was excited and overwhelmed at the same time...
and then: an invitation came to teach my first online lesson!

Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her,
still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings.
~Victor Hugo
                                                                                 
We hear stories of transformation due to difficult times,
yet we hardly think it can happen to us.
 
Yet, I did!
And I am absolutely thrilled!

Teaching women has been a dream of mine but here in the studio we mostly have been teaching children... and I have to tell you...teaching/communing/creating with women is just amaZing!!

In fact, absolutely awesome things have happened since I "lost" my college teaching gig last March. Indeed, it is a year ago this month of March that I was asked to my supervisor's office where he broke the news to me: lay offs. We were so worried... but *wow* the things that were in store for us!! If I had only had that crystal ball into the future.
                                                               
But I don't.
And you probably don't either....
so:
trust. 
shed leaves.
trim your branches...
and have faith in your steady roots!
                                                                   

This piece was painted for the Angels in my studio course.
It is available for $175.- ;)
I started by teaching two lessons in "Angels in my studio" (which is now open as a 'self guided' online course) by the generous invitation of Sheri A. Ponzi.  

I am now teaching in the course: "Painting the Goddess Within" also via fantabouously awesome Sheri A. Ponzi with whom I will be teaching
an "on site" class here at our home OlivosARTstudio in April!

Sign up and join us :) here! 
                                                                     
And, this summer, I will be teaching two lessons in a course about Dreams... via sweet dream Goddess at large: Amy Burke O'Toole  ~ juicy, exciting art-fun, stay tuned for more information!!
 

                                                                     
The other thing that happened was that when I decided to launch a Kickstarter campaign... with all the faith I could muster... we were super dooper blessed and encouraged by ALL the wonderful support we received from collectors and friends from all around the world!
 
We raised over 6K to travel to Chile and launch a  painting project based on the spirituality of the Mapuche Indians.

This not only gave us mucho moola to do our porject.... it also gave us "mucho encouragement and faith in ourselves" through the support that many of YOU gave us!"
 
Thank you
 
That is what really, truly catapulted us into unbelievable growth, both in our spiritual lives and our artistic lives: your support and faith in us!

When we returned from our time abroad, we received clear direction to add a healing aspect to not only our studio offerings, but to our art- it has always been there....
 but now: with definite intention! 

And we are very excited about it. 

As a matter of fact we are freakin' giddy with excitment... this Sunday we will attend a Kundalini workshop, we have started making energy paintings, we are getting certified as Reiki practitioners  and delving into essential oils too (I am now a product consultant for some of the best essential oils around: doTerra) as well as continuing to hone our skills in the healing modality of EFT.... and so much more!
                                      

When it is dark enough, you can see the stars.  
~Ralph Waldo Emerson


I have met SO many wonderfull people through the community found within online classes, these are people that I have become my friends....some who I have had the privilege to meet in person and none of this would have happened had I not been laid off my college teaching career!!!

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as
an idea whose time has come.
~Victor Hugo

So, for all those of you who are struggling with unexpected.unwanted changes in your lives:
be encouraged
*mirmagical* things do happen!

Get creative, get inventive~do what YOU know you do best
Shed leaves, trim branches.... expand even as you stay firm in your roots!
And if you don't know 'what you do best', ask yourself:
What do people always come to YOU for advice on? What do you get the most joy from?

Then, just do it!

This is a video we made a few days ago about our "in studio" offerings...

And this one too....(we would totally appreciate it if you can tell us which of the 2 you like best!)
Thank you and oodles of Love & Light to you

8 comments:

Sofia Dabalsa said...

Claudia,

I love your post! Thank you for sharing your words. I too was a college professor and left the stability voluntarily for a more creative life! I hope to accomplish as much as you one day! I love the second video! xxx

Claudia Olivos and Sergio OlivosM said...

Thank you so much for stopping by Goddess Sofia! ;)

Thank you for your encouraging words...and *yeah chica!* YOU go...shed your leaves... it is past Autumn and I see your buds blossoming!!!!
I see that beautiFULL tribe you have going.. YOU rock!

love,
Claudia

CJ said...

I love this story of blossoming when being released from the steady, comfortable 'day job'. It's amazing what can happen when you are walking in faith.

And thank you for sharing the 'star' quote. Perfect for me today.
CJ

Sibylle said...

So, another try ;-) What I posted was that this story really strikes a chord in me. I know too well the anxiety of making ends meet with a budding business. How wonderful to see that life does take care of its own and that you found such beautiful opportunities! Thank you for sharing this.
Much love! xx

Claudia Olivos and Sergio OlivosM said...

Thank you so much for your words CJ! I am SO glad I was able to encourage you!

((hugs))

Claudia Olivos and Sergio OlivosM said...

Sibylle,

YOu are a GODDESS!!!
Thank you SO much for alerting me to the malware here.. a rrreallly appreciate it!

Stop by and visit again soon :)

oodles of love,
Claudia

Lisa Graham Art said...

Sounds like a very large wave of change has swept through your lives...and that those waves are gentle enough to leave you standing firm. Love your art, love your studio...the second video gives the best description of what your studio is about. The soft music playing as they paint is such a wonderful idea.

Claudia Olivos and Sergio OlivosM said...

Dear Lisa,
Yes, indeed- great changes! Thank you so much for the accolades :)

And thank you too re: the advice about our videos! We are having our web page "remodeled" and will use one of them there!

Much love & light to you!
Claudia