Saturday, March 7, 2015

Goddess Eirene Painting on Watercolor paper

Goddess Eirene 

Eirene is the Goddess of Peace and the patroness of wealth and prosperity and wealth, symbolized by the infant Ploutus (wealth).

She is Zeus' daughter and one of three Horae who together preside over matters of peace, order and justice...they ensure that only those with good hearts enter the gates to mount Olympus.

We are so glad she showed up as my first Goddess for 2015!




Here is a bit of the process....
I started with her eyes as I always do, then went on to the rest of the face.... at the drawing stage is where I most feel the hand of Source/God as I work intuitevely not knowing who the Goddess is, what she will look like.

I drew the wavy hair and soon knew she wanted a hoop earring... it was at that point that I began to see her personality come through.




Next, I added flowers and decided to make a blue head covering/shawl. I



I then began to color in some of the flowers, I am self taught with watercolors and I am aware that I utilize them similarily to oils... sometimes that is frustrating and I yearn for the time to take a "proper" watercolor class, but most of the time I am elated at having found a medium that I can take anywhere with me (even to bed, as you can see in the image above... my frog pj's peeking out from underneath the block of watercolor!)


t is always at different points in the piece that I feel it is time to find out who she is, sometimes early in the process- as it happened with this one- sometimes it is much later.

 I knew it was time to draw a card from our oracle deck when I was drawing the flowers, so I asked Sergio to find out who it was that I was painting by drawing the card which was for the Goddess Eirene.

The Goddess Eirene often is pictured holding 
the infant Ploutus (wealth), so I drew him in....



I felt like adding an ocean to the background, but I wasn't sure, and one evening Sergio said to me: "why don't you add the sea?"
*confirmation*



Here she is, finished.


She was painted on  cold press Arches watercolor paper, 12 x 16 in.

The original is on reserve, but you can purchase a reproduction on canvas or paper, several sizes are available and you can see them in our OlivosARTstudiostore and on etsy 
REPRODUCTIONS ON Stretched CANVAS

If you are not in the USA, please contact me for intl' shipping before you buy. Thanks!
$35.00 8x10 in./ 20.32 x 25.4 cm 




2 comments:

Rutheemac said...

Hi Claudia, Your watercolour of Eirene is beautiful just like all your paintings. I love it when you talk about the process you used when you painted. I think it's so interesting that you started with the eyes since I think of the eyes as being the portal to the soul. You can tell so much about a person by their eyes. Like when you look at a young person, but their eyes tell you that that person is an old soul, that their eyes in this life and those past, have seen so very much. I love the colours you used and the blue head covering is perfect for Eirene. I'm curios as to what tarot deck you use. I have one that I bought because I love the art so much. Jasmine Becket-Griffith did the artwork and it's lovely. The women she paints all have large eyes, something that really appeals to me for some reason. But I love the feeling I get from looking at the artwork you do when you get inspired to do a goddess. There is so much feeling in what you paint that I could stare at the painting for ages. The faces have so much expression as do the eyes. I feel peaceful when I see each of your goddesses. Have a wonderful week my friend. I'll catch up with you on FB. Lots of love and hugs, Ruthee

Claudia Olivos and Sergio OlivosM said...

Thanks so much Ruthee!!
Your words are lovely and they mean so much to me!

The deck I use is Doreen Virtue's ... and they are also the inspiration for these Goddesses as I thought it would be lovely to have a deck with all my Goddesses-- each one a bit different, but all by the same artist (Doreen used different artists for hers).
So, my plan is to make these into an oracle deck -- hopefully it will come true in 2016!

Love and hugs and more love!
xox
Claudia